skip to content


This section includes administrative forms and guidance for degree committees and departmental administrators on graduate supervision, part-time research degrees, and examiner payments.

Setting up programmes


Managing Supervisors

Every student on a doctoral programme of study must have a principal supervisor and adviser allocated to them. The record in CamSIS must be maintained to accurately reflect each student’s supervisor and adviser. Ensuring that these relationships are up to date allows the following;

  • Progress reports to be written, including responses to self-evaluation reports;
  • Student applications (e.g. for intermission, leave to work away) to be approved by the supervisor;

Students should only have one active Principal Supervisor at a time and any change to a supervisor must also include inactivation of a previous principal supervisor. Failure to inactivate a supervisor will cause problems for all of the processes listed above.

The Board of Graduate Studies has recently published guidance on eligibility to act as a supervisor  - this is available here.

A guide to managing Supervisors on CamSIS can be found here.

Anyone who requests ‘Postgraduate Students Administrator’ and/or ‘Degree Committee Administrator’ access using the CamSIS User Registration Form will be given access to PFRS reports accordingly.

The Notification of New Graduate Supervisor Details Form should be submitted to the Student Registry when you have a member of staff acting as a supervisor for the first time and need them set up to allow you to attach students to them.


Supporting students working away from Cambridge

Guidance on how to support students who plan to or who are working away from Cambridge can be found at



Forms and guidance on exams can be found in the 'Examinations' section.

Examiners may claim for fees and related expenses by submitting the relevant form found here.